The earliest musical horn dates back to 4000 BC, made from a hollowed tree branch or animal horn it was a simple instrument whose more modern brass design became popular with huntsmen.
There are many types of horn, the two principal ones being the single horn and the double horn. You hold the horn on your right hand side with the mouthpiece to your lips and the bell pointing backwards. Your left hand operates the valves, while the right supports the bell of the instrument or is inserted into the bell of the instrument to modify the sound - a technique unique to the horn.
The French Horn, or just "horn" for short is made from a very long, narrow tube of brass which is coiled round on itself to save space. The sound comes out of the flared bell, and is made by blowing a "raspberry" with your lips into the cup-shaped mouthpiece. You can make a number of different notes by varying the tension of your lips and pressing different combinations of the valves which divert the air through little extra lengths of tubing.
Other Horns belonging to the Brass catagory include the Tenor Horn which is also similar but much smaller, the Flugelhorn which is even smaller and the Baritone Horn which is the largest of all the Horns.
Baritone Horn and Euphonium
Horns and Horn Accessories
- The British Horn Society digests of current and previous issues of The Horn Magazine, links to other sites, events information.
- Dutch Horn Society
- Flugelhorn Society
- Harrogate Brass Band home of The Internet Bandsman's Everything Within and packed full of information and links to brass instrument resources and sites.
- International Horn Society Online - Information about the International Horn Society, horn related news and articles.
- International Horn Society
- Los Angeles Horn Club
- Northwest Horn Society, USA
- The Tenor Horn Society - c/o Alison Childs, The Doyen Centre, Vulcan Street, Oldham, Lancashire, OL1 4EP, Tel: +44 (0) 161 628 3799
- Music Room Sheet music & Play-along CDs with music for Brass & Other Instruments.
- Bespoke Brass
a new approach to music and tutors for young musicians learning the trumpet, trombone, euphonium and other wind/brass instruments
- Brass Unlimited
Brass tuition material for all ages and standards
Music for brass ensembles
- Brass World
arrangements, teaching aids and more for the brass player.
- Breathing, articulation and flexibility
three articles by Nick Hudson
- Cala Records
Sheet music of the London Horn and London Trombone Sounds
- Cyberhorn Museum
- Horn Planet
all about the French Horn plus areas devoted to the Golden Horn, Opus 90 the Saint Louis Brass Quintet and more.
- Das Flügelhorn
- The Eb/F Pitched Brass Instruments
flugelhorns, flugelhorn paraphernalia, and flugelhorn players
- Four Fundamentals of Troubleshooting for Brass Players
free music scores
- Free sheet music for brass
- French Horn Player's Webring
- French Horn Resources
- French Horn Stopping - Why the Pitch Shift?
Article discussing several special challenges of French horn playing.
- Horn Articles Online ?
- Horn Articles Online
A Library of Over 65 Articles on the Performance, Literature, Design, and History of the French Horn.
the art of making musical instruments at home for fun and self-defence
- Horn Players' FAQ
- HornPlayer.net UK site provides French Horn Resources including free classifieds, information archive, personnel listings for orchestras worldwide, teachers database and more!
- The Horn Call (International Horn Society), Eastman School of Music, 26 Gibbs Street, Rochester, NY 14604, USA - Tel: +1-716-482-5795, Fax: +1-716-274-1088
- The Horn Magazine, Neuschel Publications, 15 Hailey Croft, Chinnor, Oxfordshire, OX9 4TS, Tel: 020-8353-025
- Karen Martin's French Horn links
- Libby and Louise's Mad World of Horns
- The Mellophonium
- MIDI Accompaniment Files for Horn Players
Collection of MIDI versions of the piano accompaniments to horn pieces. Includes works by Beethoven, Glazunov, Hindemith, Gordon Jacob, and Reicha.
- Pay The Piper UK
So you want to play a musical instrument - a site for aspiring musicians providing free information, has sections for various instruments with information about the instrument, approximate purchasing costs
- Some Ins and Outs of Breathing
- Sound Optimization
- Tenor Horn Page
- Trompes de France Pays-Bas
Brass Home | Baritone | Cornet & Trumpet | Horns | Shop | Trombone | Tuba | Brass Links
Home | Lessons | Interactive | Gig Guide | Site Map | Free Stuff | Contact
© 1998 - 2013 Electric Blues Club - All Rights Reserved
Dropdown Menu by Brothercake
Graphics & Services